Monday, June 8, 2009

'Cars' Brithday



This was for my nephew's 'Cars' themed birthday - my son was going crazy wanting the cake for himself! Rather than try to make red fondant, I decided to paint the side. I liked the texture that this added. Since my sister-in-law liked the idea of chocolate and vanilla cake, I pulled out the ol' checkerboard pan. (note that the chocolate cake batter should be made by adding chocolate to the white cake batter, otherwise the batters have different densities and the checker pattern won't stay straight.)
I was really pleased with the cake, before the hot car got a hold of it. I haven't had a cake sag and bulge on me in over a year (get cocky - get trouble)! oh well, the birthday boy loved it, and it tasted great which is really all that matters!
[the 'Cars' are toys]

No comments: