Monday, April 27, 2009

Lily's First Birthday

This is the cake that I made for my niece's first birthday. I made it to match the adorable invitations that my sister-in-law mailed out. I think that it was really sweet. Per her request, it was vanilla white cake with black raspberry buttercream filling, buttercream frosting, covered in fondant. The number "1" at the top is gumpaste painted to look like pink gingham.

The smash cake was also white cake with raspberry buttercream filling. I baked it in my little 4" pans. I trimmed one layer level and left the dome on the other. After it was stacked and chilled, I carved the bottom down a bit to make it more 'cupcake' shaped. I frosted the bottom in buttercream, and used my Icing Sculptor (for the first time!) to comb the bottom. I decided to frost the top in the raspberry buttercream, because I thought that the birthday girl would like the flavor! (The raspberry gave it the purple color)


My niece seemed to love the cake - and so did my nephew! He kept sneaking in to take some cake. She finally had had enough and squished buttercream in his hair!


In addition to the birthday cakes, I made some cupcakes with the leftover batter. I still had leftover chocolate buttercream and milk chocolate ganache from my church cupcakes. Instead of the #12 round tip, I decided to use the #32 star tip. I really liked the texture that it added. These were really good and everyone loved them.




Finally, I note about my cake construction. I torte all of my cakes so that they have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. It makes for a beautiful and tasty cake, I think. So, just in case you were curious what the inside looks like, here you go:

No comments: