Sunday, April 5, 2009

50th Wedding Anniversary!!!



A 50th wedding anniversary deserves a fabulous cake! I did my best with this one, and upon reflection I am amazed at how I have grown as a decorator since starting two years ago.

This cake started off as the most wonderful complement that I have ever received. 'I'm not a cake person. But when I had your cake at so-n-so's party, I woke up craving more.' The 10 inch base tier was her favorite, vanilla white cake with black-raspberry buttercream filling. The 8 inch middle tier was mocha chocolate cake with chocolate-hazelnut buttercream, and the top 6 inch tier was lemon cake with cream cheese frosting. (I love all of these, yum!) Making this cake was more of an adventure than I anticipated. After months of intermittent and unpredictable problems, my oven finally quit completely. I borrowed my neighbors oven - kudos to the Kellers!!! - which wasn't a big deal, but then it started to thunder... it was quite a comic picture, me toting cakes across the ally with an umbrella and lightning.

I made a couple purchases for this cake too. I finally bought the lace and rosette molds. These are more of those tools that I have wanted for a long time, but didn't want to spend the money until the cake design needed it. This one did. I also purchased the '50' topper. It looks really good, better than the ones that I have made.

The design was again inspired by a fabulous professional baker, Edna De La Cruz, of Design Me a Cake. Here is her amazing cake:



3 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

OMG! How pretty! I am so proud of you at how great you have become in such a little time. Each cake/cookie/cupcake you do is just mind blowing!

Your filling sound so yummy?

Hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hello dear,
this is one of the most excuisite cakes I've seen lately! Excelent job! Congratulations and good luck on your career!
Regards, Nina

TracyLH said...

Oh, the close-ups are wonderful! Jen, your work is just gorgeous!!! (and it sounds delicious too!)