Monday, July 27, 2009

Sports Fan




Birthday goodies for a fan of the Chicago White Sox and the Indianapolis Colts. The mini cake (5" round, carved into the characteristic topsy-turvy shape) was inspired from an awesome cake that I saw on CakeCentral.
The original creator used Styrofoam balls, covered in fondant. I used the Wilton mini ball pan to make cake balls. however, after it was all done, I could see the virtue in using Styrofoam. the cake softened and wanted to settle and squish. I didn't have a football shaped pan, so I carved the hemispheres from the mini pan pan into footballs.
(By the way... piping straight black lines on top of the cake - check, piping straight black lines on the side of a tapered cake - yikes! that was tough, my hat's off to the Cake Boss )

In addition to the cake, I made cookies. I thought about using rounds, but I think that the square cut came out better and was a better fit. the background stripes were piped wet. All the top images were piped on wax paper over the logos.






Finally, the last little goodies were mini cupcakes. I had wanted to make some fun sugar art for these, but I ran out of steam with all the other stuff. To match the theme, I made white with chocolate sprinkles, and blue with blue stars. (to put the sprinkles just around the edge, I poured some in my cupped hand and tapped the edges of the icing into the sprinkles.)

2 comments:

CDeu said...

These little goodies were for my husband's surprise B-day party. I had Jen package the cookies individually so the guests could eat them at the party or take them home as favors! Everyone LOVED the goodies and tasted amazing!
Thanks, we will definitely be ordering from Posh in the future!

jessicadiamond said...

Jen- Everything is beautiful! I have been trying to decorate cookies, but can't get the icing quite right. Would you mind sharing your recipe and consistency?