Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

My Mom's birthday was March 11. I made this cake for her.

I wanted to make a topsy-turvy cake, but they are usually so big!!! I decided to try making one that is 3", 5", and 7" round cakes carved into their distinctive shape.

The bottom cake is a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting (and filling). This is a very moist soft cake, and in hind sight not the best choice for the bottom cake. The addition of the extra layer of cake on the high side was enough to compress the lower layers and make the cake tilt over. I wasn't happy with this and ended up "shimming" the cake up with some left over cake scrapes.

The top two tiers are Key Lime cake with Key Lime curd and buttercream frosting. I loved the lemon cake that I made for my Mother-in-Law, so this sounded good too! It was quite good! although squeezing the tiny key limes was more work than I had bargained for!

1 comment:

Joanne Kennedy said...

This cake is so cute! I love it. I can't get over how you have taught yourself to do all these super cakes and cookies. You sure do have a natural tallent!

Hugs,
Joanne